The Office of the Cook County State’s Attorney, the second largest county prosecution office in the country, is an equal opportunity employer — employing nearly 900 lawyers. All job offers are contingent upon being a licensed attorney in the State of Illinois and a background check.
The legal staff is diverse and reflective of the community it serves. Additionally, the Office has an established policy against discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital or veteran/military status. Each applicant is given individual consideration. The following criteria are included:
- Favorable Academic Standing
- Excellent Writing Ability
- Law School Activities- ie, Mock Trial Competition or Moot Court, Trial Team, Law Society, etc.
- Course Selections - ie, Criminal Law, Criminal Procedure, Evidence, Trial Advocacy, Advanced Trial Advocacy, Appellate Advocacy, Clinical courses or Public Interest Law, etc.
- Documented interest in public service and/or criminal law
- Highest standards of professional and personal integrity
A completed application consists of:
- Application (download here; PDF)
- A signed and dated Release Form (an electronic signature will not be accepted)
- Official or /Un-Official Transcript (Self-prepared transcripts will not be accepted)
- One Letter of Recommendation
- One Legal Writing Sample (Not to exceed ten pages)
- Cover Letter
Please note if any materials will be sent separately. Incomplete Applications will not be considered.
Please return your completed application to:
Office of the Cook County State’s Attorney
Attention: Legal Hiring
69 West Washington, Suite 3200
Chicago, IL 60602