Job Title: Assistant State’s Attorney/Freedom of Information Act Officer
Department: General Counsel
Position Description: The Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office is seeking a FOIA Officer to process requests made under the Freedom of Information Act.
Working Environment & Reporting Structure: The FOIA Officer will report directly to the General Counsel and will work in conjunction with the all members of the FOIA unit.
Duties/Requirements: The FOIA Officer is responsible for receiving, assessing and subsequently responding to requests made under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act (Act). The FOIA Officer will be responsible for providing legal guidance and direction related to the Act. The FOIA Officer will review FOIA requests addressed to the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office and work with the appropriate bureau or unit within the office to locate responsive records, review and redact responsive records and draft appropriate responses within statutory timeframes. The FOIA Officer will respond to correspondence in accordance with the Act and handle correspondence with the appropriate skill and care that ensures legal compliance. The FOIA Officer will coordinate and in appropriate circumstances conduct, internal research to locate all paper and electronic records held by the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office that relate to FOIA requests.
- Must be licensed to practice law in the State of Illinois;
- The ideal candidate should have three (3) or more years of legal experience, preferably with FOIA requests;
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritize workload effectively in order to meet compliance deadlines;
- Strong research, writing, and oral advocacy skills;
- Strong organizational skills with great attention to detail;
- Excellent communication skills, interpersonal skills, and be a self-starter;
- Sound judgment, critical thinking, analytical, and effective time management skills;
- Must always uphold the mission and values of the State’s Attorney’s Office; and
- Must exercise integrity and decorum in all situations.
Contact: Interested candidates should submit their resume and a statement of interest HERE. In your statement of interest, please answer the following questions:
- Why are you interested in this particular role?
- What in your professional experience has prepared you to succeed in this role?
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office (CCSAO) is an equal opportunity employer, which seeks to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The CCSAO does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Upon request, the CCSAO will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals due to a disability or pregnancy.