Effective: April 4, 2020
In the interest of public health and safety during this rapidly evolving situation, the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office (CCSAO) worked in collaboration with the Chicago Police Department (CPD), and advocates to create protocols for remote screening of domestic violence incidents where the offender is not present.
Survivors of domestic violence should call 911, CCSAO Victim Witness Unit: 773-674-7200, or Illinois Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-877-863-6338 for support.
- When CPD responds to a domestic incident where the offender is not present, the survivor will be given information to seek a warrant by calling 773-674-7000.
- CPD will inform the survivor that a Domestic Violence (DV) Assistant State’s Attorney (ASA) will call them Monday through Friday between 8:30am and 1:30pm to discuss possible charges.
- The ASA will call the survivor to discuss the facts and determine if additional evidence is needed that requires viewing. At which point, the ASA will provide the survivor with an email address to send supporting materials.
- Evidence that the survivor has in their possession, such as text messages, videos, screenshots, can be emailed by the survivor or the PO.
- All emails sent by survivors and POs must include the following information: offender's name, survivor's name, description of items emailed, and police report number.
- If the case is approved the ASA will advise the survivor that charges will be filed by the CCSAO and a warrant/summons will be requested by the ASA. Warrant/summons will only be requested Monday through Friday.
- A CCSAO Victim Witness (VW) specialist will call the survivor and ask if they want a Criminal Order of Protection (OP); if so, an ASA will get an OP on the survivor's behalf. The VW specialist will connect the survivor to additional advocate services.
- If the case is unable to be approved, the ASA will advise the survivor on how to obtain a Civil Emergency Order of Protection (EOP).
- Whether a case is approved or rejected, the ASA will inform the survivor that a CCSAO VW specialist will call them to give additional information, resources, and provide an advocate referral.
Additional Resources for Survivors
CCSAO Victim Witness Unit: 773-674-7200
Illinois Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-877-863-6338